Friday, March 29, 2013

Today as my team ventured out to our "zone" for the day my prayer was simply that today be the greatest of all our days in London. Wow, our God is so faithful.

We walked in front of a school and approached a group (that was larger than we anticipated) and as we began to talk to them we learned that they were the very people another group engaged the day before (and were the topic of yesterday's blog post). As we began to dive into a deeper conversation I was surprised by just how interested they were in us and what we had to say, in fact, they approached us with a spiritual question. As we began to talk about cultural differences, the topic of gay marriage, politics, and going to university in the fall, our group somehow split into two groups with the two other people in my group talking to a couple of the students and me talking to the others. They were able to go through an entire gospel presentation and pass out four of our New Testament Bibles. As they were engaging those students, I began to talk to this one girl (and even though I talked to her for about an hour I somehow neglected to get her name. So seeing as she was Irish, we nicknamed her Iris). Iris told me she grew up in a Catholic Church but when she was younger her dad passed away and after that she fell away from the church. She told me now she didn't really believe in a God. I began to ask her the world view grid questions, about how she thought we got here, and she answered saying she thinks there's something up there but she isn't sure of what it is or that she would associate it with God. After this I asked her about how it's evident through poverty, war, genocide, and etc that clearly something is wrong with the world and what she would say is the cause of all this turmoil. Her answer was that she believed it was caused by corruption from world leaders and their selfish desires. What was interesting about this was that she was just as interested in hearing my answers and would ask me what I believed about each of the questions. Due to time I wasn't able to go through the entire gospel presentation but by the end of the conversation she seemed very interested and curious, so I encouraged her to read through the Bible we gave her.

One thing we've talked about all throughout the week is how at Hoover High School it is easy to go for a week without running into people if you don't have classes with them, but even though London is a million times bigger than Hoover, God has orchestrated it to where everyday this week we've run into people either we've seen or other groups have seen previously in the week giving us the opportunity to dive deeper each day with these people and allow us to truly invest in their lives.

Today God very clearly answered my prayers from the morning, and looking back through this week it has been amazing what all God has done in our week here. The song "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin has been on my heart this week. "You're the God of this city/You're the king of these people/You're the hope of this nation" it's so comforting to know that in a city so lost, God is still here and on his throne and in control of everything.

As the lyrics say, "Greater things are yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city".






























Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment